1.24.2010

Ich bin ein berliner! (Day 4 and 5 Cologne and Kunstmuseum)

Busy weekend, glad I have a moment to relax before the real ride begins. Yesterday we went to Cologne for a quick city tour and to visit an interior design exhibition. The first thing you see when you leave the Cologne Hauptbahnhof is the Cathedral....THE Cathedral. Bloody thing is gigantic and looking at it gives you a feeling of surreality. The real problem with it is the corrosion..it makes the poor church looks so awful and I hope I'm not the only one who things that. It is a glorious landmark for the city and I don't want to be insulting, it just looks sad with the level of pollution corrosion it has.


It looks nicer at night, fortunately. I will get a better image next time I am in Cologne. The interior is quite lovely.


Our next stop was to a little art exhibit hidden in the city. This piece works on a computer program that randomly generates patters and displays them with the mechanical workings of the piece. It is a little strange, but mesmorizing.


Nom nom nom, Berliner! Sorry Brian, but I can't help but take pictures of your first Berliner.


The interior design show we went to was amazing. I didn't know what to expect so, with not having expectation, I was floored. Here are some of my favorite projects:


To end the night, we were all treated to a beer, courtesy of AIB.


We had a fiasco getting home, but with a better understanding of the Underground system, we can work things out a lot better. I also learned that boy never know where their going when they think they do. Sense of direction is trumped by logic, k thanks.

This morning I awoke to see snow on the ground. However, it melted within the hour. Oh well, a white morning is still a nice surprise.


Catie and I headed down to the Bonn Kunstmuseum (art museum) to see what was on display. Again, we were floored. My favorite piece, by far, was this little gem. It is an installation done with nails and candle wax. Ironically, it is called 'Icarus', guess why.


Some other exhibits. Sorry, I am too tired to remember artists. There were also some German expressionist painter's work on display. Kirchner, Marc and others. Lovely, but my images of them were terrible. Here are some of the more impressive, contemporary works:



Now time for some rest, classes start tomorrow and I am not looking forward to the work. Tim promised it would not be as intense as last fall, but intense enough to keep us busy between excursions.

Tchuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment