I am still slightly jetlagged and very tired after today.
We haven't had class so far as we are still allowing time for settling in, visa paperwork and orientation tours. Today, we got a history lesson about the city, the inhabitants and the monuments. I am quite impressed so far and I haven't been anywhere outside of Bonn yet!
So, photos. Firstly: this is my room with my host family. It is a little untidy. I'm still figuring out where to store things. (note: there is now a huge Star Trek poster on the wall)
German windows are amazing, just so you know. I want windows like this in my house someday.
If you didn't know, Bonn is the city where Beethoven was born. Bonn if very proud of this and have gone extra lengths to make his presence known. Even so much as to make a small monument of the house he was supposedly born in.
Seagulls love his statue.
There is a small cathedral here, it is the smallest in Germany and is only a parish church. I don't know much about Catholicism, but that apparently means it is a church used by everyone. In Beethoven's time it had a school and monastery attached. He didn't much like going to school there.
The Cathedral also has these neat gems in front. The collosal head represent Roman soldiers who died a martyr's death by standing up for their Christian faith.
By the way, I walk by this cathedral on the way to class every day. Near the church is the Bonn University where the other branch of the AIB is (not us, sadly) But there's pretty statues.
Our awesome little British tour guide:
Behind the University is the Rhine river. It will be a lot more lively during Karneval, I hope.
Another monument we visited was the Old Town Hall. It is a gaudy building, but of course, it was designed by a Frenchman (you can tell, can't you?) About the only thing I do like about this building is the Bonn shield, but that symbol appears just about everywhere in the downtown area.
That is all I care to mention today. Had my first beer in Germany tonight though!
Tchuss!
1.22.2010
Ich Liebe Bonn! (Germany day 2 &3) EDIT
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

A Cathedral generally means it is where a Bishop is based to oversee a diocese (group of churches). Is it now Lutheran or still Roman Catholic?
ReplyDelete