2.21.2010

Einz, Svei, OOMPA (Müchen, Day 30-32)

Just returned from Munich. Words do not fully describe how amazing this weekend has been. So, for simplicity's sake, I will break this down into days.

Friday:

Woke up at 7:30 to get ready to catch a bus to the Cologne airport. Flying was a much more convenient and time-efficient mode of travel despite how jittery it makes me. We got into Munich around one and made it to the hostel shortly after. To kill a little time, the eight of us decided to take a trip to Marienplatz, a roughly famous area of Munich not far from the central train station.

The architecture was breathtaking in the square, especially the cathedral. This cathedral is slightly different than the image most people get when they think of cathedrals. It had the same layout, but it was definitely not a gothic cathedral, but I do prefer its simplicity to the overdone, almost gaudy gothic style of some cathedrals in Germany.

Images of the Munich Rauthhaus, the St. Mary's pillar and the Cathedral:


That evening, we trekked over to the Das Schloss theatre to catch Corvus Corax. The show was not quite what we expected. It was a play with Corvus Corax there to provide interesting soundscapes as well as kickass musical interludes. This band is quite the novelty: they use a variety medieval period style instruments, mostly huge drums and bagpipes. I think the play was about a dwarf...and a dragon..and a king and a few other people. It was entirely in German so I didn't really understand much of the story. Nevertheless, I thought it was worth it.




Saturday:

Our plan for saturday was to make a trek to the Neuschwenstein castle. We found a really great deal on a tour out to the castle, so we took the deal. Turned out to be the highlight of the trip (one of them anyway). We took a train southwest to the town of Füssen. The ride was amazing and looked like something right out of my story. I had a little bit of a freak out for how close southern Bavaria looks like an area in my story. The castle rests in the foothills of the Alps and the snow provided a very picturesque view.



The castle is in a medieval influenced style but was actually constructed in the 19th century. By Ludwig II, King of Bavaria. He was quite a character. People began to call him 'mad' when he obsessed over building his grand castles inspired by myth, fairytale and opera. I don't think him truly mad, just eccentric.

Here's some views of Neuschwenstein and the town:


Thankfully, sun came out after the interior tour, so I was able to get better shots. The hike up the hill the castle is on kicked my butt, literally. My butt hurt from how steep the walk was. Oh and the Japanese tourists cracked me up! They pointed their cameras at the castle going 'ahhh Sugoi!' (it is like 'wow' a statement of awe) They were funny.

That night we visited THE Octoberfest beer hall. The Hofbrauhaus is internationally famous for its beer and its partying. It was HUGE. 3 floors of huge beer hall! and Oompah bands and liederhosen and *squee*. Seriously, I adore Octoberfest and try to go to the one in New Braunfels as often as possible. But this time, it was real (well it wasn't truly octoberfest, but it was still an amazing beer hall).


Huge mug o' beer....(don't worry, I split this with someone).

OOMPA!!

Sunday:

So...tired and slightly hungover, we spent our final day visiting art museums. I love art history, I mean LOVE art history. I am very passionate about it and wish I could do more than simply minor in it. This study abroad has only added fuel to the fire.

First, we visited the Glyptothek. This place houses Greek and Roman sculpture. The building itself was a replica of Greek architecture, complete with pediment sculpture.


Catie and I went crazy, we love Greek anything. Here are some of my favs:




I had to write a long essay on this one for one of my classes:


The second museum did not allow pictures. It worked me up into a frenzy to see some of the works I saw today. Overall, the highlight was this one. I saw this piece and had to cover my mouth. I just about cried to see it in person. This is my favorite piece by Albrecht Dürer, my favorite Renaissance aritst. When you see your favorite painting in person...it is a little overwhelming. I wanted to stare at it all day, meet it eye to eye and study every part of it so maybe I can be as great as him.

All in all, this was a great trip. It is only a taste of what is to come in the next month.

Also: I got to have wine on the plane home. It was awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Your time in Munich sounds an awful lot like mine. Neuschwanstein is lovely, isn't it? I didn't get to tour the inside of it, but I did get to tour one of King Ludwig's other castles. He wasn't mad, per se, but he was homosexual and lonely and very inspired by Louis XIV, the sun king. Ludwig actually has a very sad story and I always felt bad for him.

    Also, I had to lol at your pictures from the Hofbrahaus because I haev pictures from that exact same spot from when my group went. Looks like your having tons of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was too fun lol

    Yeah I kinda wanted to give Ludwig a hug and say 'it's ok, i have imaginary friends too'

    ReplyDelete